Thanksgiving 2014: I forever am struggling with the gravy for the turkey, and I’m struggling at the last second while everyone waits. A search on the internet found two similar gravies that you can make ahead! Oh my goodness, this is the best and tastiest gravy ever!
2 large carrots cut in chunks
1 rib celery cut in chunks
1 medium onion quartered
1 head garlic halved at the middle (don’t worry about peeling)
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 sprigs of sage
2 sprigs of thyme
1 – 1.5 quart chicken stock
salt and papper
1/4 cup flour
4 Tablespoons Earth Balance butter flavor
2 wings cut from turkey and neck (I know this sounds crazy and you could buy separate wings..but I don’t mind the turkey wingless!)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F
2. In large stock pan, in olive oil, sautee the wings, neck and veggies for a few minutes just until the wings start to brown a bit.
3. Add herbs to stock pot
4. Roast turkey bits and veggies uncovered for 45 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups broth and roast another 30 minutes
6. Add 2 more cups broth and roast another 30 minutes (you will see the stock getting nice and brown)
7. Add 2 more cups broth and roast another 30 minutes.
8. Remove stock pot from oven and let cool.
9. Remove wings and neck (meat will be falling off bone!)..save for snacking!
10. Strain stock and set stock aside.
11. In stock pan melt Earth Balance and add flour to mix well. Slowly add a bit of stock at a time until well blended (be careful not to lump). Salt and pepper to taste.