Non meat centered salad and a great light dinner entree. I use lettuce in place of some of the tomatoes, which is personal preference.
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced then crushed
- 1⁄4teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons Dijon mustard (Grey poupon)
- 1⁄2cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice(not bottled)
- 1⁄2teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2teaspoon basil leaves (optional)
- 1⁄4teaspoon oregano leaves(optional)
12 to 14 small vine ripened tomatoes quartered
Bag of romaine lettuce
1 cup kalamata olives, halved and pitted
5 Persian cucumbers
1 4 ounce block of Greek feta cheese
1. Soak the red onion in a bowl of heavily salted ice water, 15 minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients in a food processor for dressing and process until emulsified.
3. Place lettuce in a large bowl. Halve the cucumbers lengthwise and slice crosswise about 1/2 inch think; add to bowl with the tomatoes. Drain the red onion, add to the bowl and toss.
4. Crumble the feta over the salad and drizzle with more olive oil and season with fresh ground pepper.