I was dragging my feet about Quinoa until I had this dish. These burgers were so amazing, even my non vegetable loving husband thought they were delicious! I’m a quinoa convert. No more meat burgers for me. Serve with toasted whole wheat buns, avocado, a little mayo, lettuce. Yum! Recipe found in “Eating Well” magazine.
1 cup water
1/2 cup red quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Cup diced onion
2 cups chopped mushroom (white or cremini)
1 teaspoon garlic
3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large egg
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (low fat or regular)
1/2 cup whole pecans toasted and finely chopped
1/3 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 tablespoon soy sauce
8 small whole wheat burger buns, toasted if desired (I used olive oil spray and toasted in a non stick skillet over low to medium heat)
1. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat over to 350. Line a baking sheet with no stick foil or parchment paper.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until soften about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano, cook, stirring until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
4. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats and soy sauce. Combine. Scoop about 1/2 cup portions of the mixture on the baking sheet and shape into 8 patties about 3 inches wide, leaving about 1 inch of space between each patty (mixture will be crumbly but will hold together once baked).
5. Bake the burgers until crispy, 28 to 30 minutes. Serve on buns with favorite garnishes.